08 January 2013

The Beatles Diary

by Kirk Woodward
(with substantial contribution by Pat Woodward)
 
[When I published Kirk Woodward’s Beatles tribute to his late wife, Pat, last 30 September, the article included Kirk’s promise to return to Pat’s obsession with the Fab Four when he found her Beatles diary.  Kirk had told me about the diary, but it seemed to have been misplaced in the chaos of the Woodwards’ move to a new home at the end of last year.  Well, on 29 October, Kirk e-mailed me that he’d come across the diary stashed on a shelf in a closet and he’s been true to his promise: he’s given me the journal recounting his late wife’s preoccupation with the premier British rock group which started when she was just 15 years old. 

[Kirk’s reproduced Pat’s teenaged prose, misspellings, idiosyncrasies, period slang, and all, as closely as he could—and I’ve tried to retain that as accurately as I can within the bounds of the blog’s limitations.  We’ve inserted a few editorial notes in brackets where a little clarification is necessary, but we’ve kept that to a minimum.  Kirk’s remarks, including his introduction below, is in italics to differentiate them from Pat’s prose (in roman type).  Some of the references are almost 50 years old and, of course, they’re all connected to New York City.  Readers of later generations or from other parts of the country (and beyond?)—well, you just missed out on an awful lot, didn’t you? 

[Today is 8 January 2013.  Forty-nine years ago yesterday, Pat made her first Beatles entry in her diary.  I hope you enjoy this little time portal, courtesy of one special 15-year-old young woman.  ~Rick]

*  *  *  *
A while ago on this blog I wrote a posting called “The Beatles Box” (http://rickontheater.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-beatles-box.html) about a stash of memorabilia amassed by my late wife, Pat, in the days when she was an avid Beatles fan. In that posting I mentioned that we had discovered a diary that she kept during her first days of Beatlemania, that the diary had been lost when we moved at the end of last year, and that if it ever turned up, there would be another posting on this blog.

Stuck at home during Hurricane Sandy, for lack of anything better to do, I decided to take care of a task that hadn’t been accomplished since we moved, namely, to put some order to the stacks and piles of CD’s, DVD’s, VHS tapes, digital video tapes, and related items that were lying around in various states of disorganization in our family room. So I set to organizing them, which is not to say that I did the kind of job Pat would have done, but I did separate the major items into categories and put them in rough alphabetical order.

I guess I did well enough, because clearly Pat, taking a break from whatever she’s doing in the Greater World, felt I deserved a reward. I opened the door of a closet, looking for stray recordings, and there on a shelf was a book I’d swear had not been there, or was not the same item, the last time I’d looked: the Beatles diary. Pat was a treasure, and I think this diary is too.

I wonder if the physical description of the diary will bring back memories to anyone else. It’s a light-purplish colored book with a padded cover and the words “One Year Diary” embossed on the cover, along with pictures of a typewriter, a globe, a mailbox, a mortarboard and diploma, a musical staff, and a four-leaf clover. Make of that what you will. There’s a lock with a keyhole; it’s locked, but that doesn’t matter because the strap that holds the book closed is broken and mostly gone. On the first inside page Pat has written, somewhat reminiscent of Shakespeare’s epitaph:

This is my book
My very own book
In which no one should
Ever peek or look!

Pat was given the book for Christmas in 1961. There are sections in the book for birthdays; she has noted, using both a date stamp and pencil, those of Michelle and Jimmy, her brother and sister, and of three friends, Maureen, Gary (name underlined), and Barbie. The “Trips to Remember” section contains stamped dates for June 1962 and June 1963; no other information. For two years the diary didn’t get much use. This is the first entry (the morning after her thirteenth birthday):

January 1 1962

Dear Diary,

Today has been drearysville. I can give you my whole day. Here it is:

1 – Get up to go to 12:00 Mass.
2 – Came home. Didn’t see [next line ferociously obliterated]
3 – Started to do book report.
4 – Ate Dinner
5 – Saw movie with Mary Martin
6 – Kept going on book report
7 – Uncle Kenny came
8 – Finished book report
9 – Watched T.V.
10 – Got report typted [sic]
11 – Went to bed.

Well, that’s it Diary, not much but at least it’s something.

Yours Barted [?],

Your Owner

Pat.

*  *  *  *

The entry for January 3 reads, in its entirety:

“Dear Diary,”

*  *  *  *

And then . . .

 
January 7, 1964

I have the Most terrific crush on the Beatles That fabulous English singing group. Their just marvelous. And talk about cute? Ouch! They have the craziest hairdos just like John-John Kennedy. Let me give you some information about the ”Beatles” for fan club reference.

(1. They came from the tough (Mercy) [sic] side of Liverpool, England. (2. They came from nothing (not even a no.) to the no. 1 song with “I Want To Hold Your Hand.” (3. Their names are: A. Ringo [she has footnoted this name: “Not sure.”], oldest, ugliest [sorry, Ringo]; Johnny, 2nd oldest & 3rd cutest; Paul, 3rd oldest [same footnote: “Not sure.”], cutest; Baby George, youngest, 2nd cutest. 4) Coming over from England on Feb. 7, 1964. 5) On Ed Sullivan, live, Feb 9, 1964. 6) Girls in Eng. go crazy over them.

I’ve only heard of them since Jan. 2. Well, I read about them in a paper but I didn’t care about them then. Mora told me about their record on that Thurs. I’ll add more information in other pages. The Beatles were #1 tonight in the phone votes. They have been for quite a while.

Yours

Excited,

Patty

*  *  *  *

January 8 1964

Dear Diary,

Guess what? I just found out that in England the word “beatles” means “beatnick.” That accounts for the hairdoos. Well, I mailed the letter today to the ”Beatles Fan Club”. I hope I get an answer sooon [sic]. Boy! Am I mad! Stupid old WMCA [a New York City top-40 radio station, 570 AM] only made “I Want To Hold Your Hand #6! Even though 6 isn’t too bad it just kills me that stupid old Lui Lui [sic] is #1! Well I feel confident that the Beatles song will be #1 next week. Oh, by the way WMCA atoned since by having Beatle-mania. That means the rest of the week honors the Beatles. Their on now! Oh! I’ve heard their songs a lot today. Yea! Guess what. The Beatles made “Please, Mr. Postman”! The Beatles were no. 1 tonight again in the phone survey!

Yours

Thrilled

Patty

*  *  *  *

January 9 1964

Well, I guess WABC [another pop radio station in New York City, 770 AM] received my letter today. I hope so. I heard 3 new ”Beatles” songs today, including “Twist & Shout”! Things don’t look so good tonight for “I Want To Hold Your Hand” in the survey. Even though Michelle and I voted tonight for the first time – B. M. R. [B. Mitchel Reed, a disk jockey on WMCA at the time] said that things had reversed! I’m listening to it now. “Little Cobra” ["Hey Little Cobra," a 1964 song by Bruce & Terry] is #5 & the only thing different is that the score seems kind of high, 24%. I’ll tell you what “I Want To Hold Your Hand” is as soon as I find out.

They did it again! They beat “Forget Him” [by singer Bobby Rydell] by 2 votes! That’s about 20 nights in a row! Yea!!!

Yours

Crazy

Patty

*  *  *  *

January 10 1964

Dear Diary

Not much to report today. Except! Now WABC has a “Beatle-Mania” too! Even though it’s only for the week-end it gives me an extra day of “Beatles” since WMCA’s “Beatle-Mania” ends tomorrow. Oh, by the way I heard 2 “Beatle” songs today that I’ve never heard on the radio. They are “I Saw Her Standing There” & “Roll Over Bettovan” [sic]. They have an album & I’m going try to get it tomorrow? The “Beatles” were no. 1 again (WMCA) tonight. With 437 votes this makes about the 10th time in a row they’ve won. Today is the anniversary of the day I fell for the ”Beatles”. One week ago I saw them in action for the 1st time singing, “She Loves You.” I hope I get my “Fan Club” stuff tomorrow. I’ll let you know if I do. Well that’s about all. See you tomorrow!

Your

Happily

Patty

*  *  *  *

January 12 196[4]

Dear Diary,

Guess what? I’m sick! I had a 99 fever last night. I stayed home today. Shall I list the events? Well anyway here they are anyhow!

1 – Woke up 15 to 9 heard Micke. [?] It spoiled my wh

*  *  *  *

January 13 1964

Dear Diary

No school today!! Or for that matter tomorrow! There’s a big blizzard & practically everything’s stopped. But that’s not too important to me. I’m inside. Anyhow the Beatles did it again! Boy! Did they do it! Even though BMR only had voting for ½ hr. the Beatles managed to get “I Want To Hold Your Hand” #1 with 231 votes, AND they had “Please, Please, Please” [sic] tie with “Bigtime Boy” [probably “Big-Town Boy” by Shirley Matthews and the Big Time Girls, a group out of Ontario, Canada] for fifth place with 130 votes (surprise!)! That’s really something! Two songs by the same group in the top 5! Yay! Oh. By the way I didn’t get my Fan Club stuff yet. I did get almost all the lyrics to “I Want To Be Your Man” that makes 3 songs I’ve done. Well I’m going to try to get the Beatles album tomorrow if they have it & some magazines on the Beatles. Tell you more tomorrow.

Yours

Chilled

Patty

PS – I just found out WABC has received Fan Club Cards TODAY.

*  *  *  *

January 14 1964

Dear Diary,

No school today! Because of the snow. Oh well, back to the important things. Mainly, the Beatles! Today was survey day on WABC. “”I Want To Hold Your Hand” is still #1, and get this! “She Loves You” is #14! And “Please Please me” is like a sure-shot on WABC and has been promoted from a Beatle-Mania sound to a B.M.R. Bell Ringer! “I Want To Hold Your Hand” was #1 again tonight with 405 votes & “Please Please Me” was #5 with 187 votes for the second time in a row. This is really big! The first time 1 group has had 3 songs in the survey or anything important, for that matter. Wow! Oh, by the way WABC talked to the Beatles again and they said that they were going to be on Ed. Sullivan Feb. 9 1964. I can hardly wait!

Yours

Wonderfully

Patty

*  *  *  *

January 15 1964

Dear Diary,

We didn’t get to school til’ 11:30 today! We gave up on the busses & took the train. Okay now that I’ve said that I’ll get back to the Beatles! I don’t know if “She Loves You” is on the WMCA survey because I missed the bottom 21-25. I guess I’ll find out later on B.M.R. I’m waiting for the #1 song to come on now. I found out that “She Loves You” is #22 and “I Want To Hold Your Hand” has sold over 1,000,000 copies & is #1 on both channels. I sent Rosemary out to get the Beatles album but they didn’t have it. She got me the single “Please Please Me” instead. So now I have 2 Beatles records. I’ll fill you in on the survey later. The Beatles had 3 songs on the survey!! Isn’t that wonderful?!! They have “Please Please Me” & “She Loves You” tie for 5th place! Of course “I Want To Hold Your Hand” was #1. Oh, I’m so happy!

Yours

Amazed,

Patty

*  *  *  *

January 16 1964

Dear Diary,

Today I found out something very exciting & disappointing. It seems that the DJ’s are at a point where they keep announcing the names of the Beatles. To put it in their words the Beatles are Paul, John, George, and Ringo. Now here’s the exciting part. 2 of the Beatles, namely Paul McCartney and John Lennon (last name) wrote most of the hit songs they’ve had! Now. Here’s the disappointing part. John is the lead! That means that Paul has practically no singing part at all!!! Oh, well let’s get back to more pleasant things. Scott Muni [a disk jockey on WABC],  said that there was going to be a special top-secret surprise in the Fan Club stuff. Now I can hardly wait for it! Wow! On the survey tonight the Beatles were #1 & 2 with “I Want To Hold Your Hand” & “She Loves You” (in that order). Wow! Again.

Yours

Forever,

Patty

*  *  *  *

January 17, 1964

Dear Diary,

Before I start on the Beatles let me tell you that the Laughlin dance was a great success! I dansed [sic] with 3 boys! Guess what? B.M.R. shoved off his beard!! Now back to the Beatles. M.M.R. [almost certainly “B.M.R.”—B. Mitchel Reed] says the top 5 tonight will be a big surprise. Oh I hope “I Want to Hold Your Hand” is still #1.

It had to happen sooner or later! “I Want To Hold Your Hand” isn’t #1 anymore. It’s #2 & “She Loves You” is #1. And! “Please Please Me” is tie for 5th place with 221 with “You don’t Own Me”. This is too great! The Beatles lose one song from #1 only to have it replaced by another! And the next song will be “Please Please Me”! The Beatles forever!!! Yippy!!!

Yours

Beatle Mania,

Patty

*  *  *  *

January 18, 1964

Dear Diary,

I’m writing this entry 6 days after it happened. Today I went to Jo-Ann’s [her cousin] for the week-end. Just before I went I tried to get a Beatles album. But they didn’t get it. So instead I got Jo-Ann ” I Want To Hold Your Hand.” When I got to Jo’s house she suggested we take the train and go to Al Diamond’s [Record Shop in Richmond Hill, Queens] under the el. To see if we could get an album & some singles she wanted. Well, we did it!!! I got my album by the Beatles! Even though I’m a bit disappointed. The picture stinks & so do most of the songs! I’ve only heard 3 that are in the album [Please Please Me (Parlophone, 22 March 1963)]. “I Saw Her Standing There,” “A Taste of Honey,” and “Twist and Shout.” But I’m thankful I’ve got at least 1 album.

Yours

Pretty Happy

Patty

*  *  *  *

January 20 1964

Dear Diary,

Not much to say today. But I found out that the other two Beatles’ names are George Harrison & Ringo Starr. Now here’s something else. Ringo plays the drums! That means he can’t do the high parts in the songs! So the one who sings high is either Paul or George! I remember the boy who sings high had a lot of hair so I’m betting on Paul! Well that’s about it Now on to the survey. They did it again! “She Loves You” is #1 & “I Want To Hold Your Hand” is #1. Double-Yea!

Yours

As Usual

Patty

*  *  *  *

January 21 1964

Dear Diary,

I did it again!!! As I write my new Beatle record is playing! Yes, I got another one today. And! I found out something else. The boy I thought was Johnny is George! Oh, this album is so good! Compared to this the other album is ready for the dumps. Paul looks so cute! He really is the handsomest, then George, then John, then Ringo. Oh by the way, I feel pretty close to the Beatles now. I’ve found out that a girl who goes to confraternity, named Nancy Allen, has a girlfriend who has a pen-pal in England. [According to Wikipedia: “A confraternity is normally a Roman Catholic or Orthodox organization of lay people created for the purpose of promoting special works of Christian charity or piety, and approved by the Church hierarchy.”  It’s apparently also common among Anglicans, but I don’t know what Pat’s connection to this was.]  And that pen-pals sister goes out with George. Isn’t that wonderful! I’m four persons (and an ocean) away from knowing the Beatles! Then again Uncle Joe knows a woman who knew the Beatles when they were just ants. Wow – wee! I mean golly!

Yours

Excited

Patty

*  *  *  *

January 24 1964

Dear Diary,

This is becoming monotonous! I got another Beatle record today. It was “She Loves You” and I love it! My girlfriend, Mora, brought in a magazine from Ireland where the Beatles appeared in November. There was a picture of each of the Beatles (Paul looked the cutest as usual) and a picture of “Paul in action”. He looked adorable he was standing in front of a mike with a guitar and his head was thrown back. Ooh! The story said that when they came out on the stage the girls were screaming hysterically so bright-eyes Paul tells them to “Hush!” When nothing happened John tried “Shut up!” when still nothing happened they sang with the screaming still going on! At the end of the show they sang “Twist & Shout” & the girls did just that. That night they repeated the performance. & at the end of the national anthem (at the end of the show) they were gone & on their way back to England.

There are 3 new Beatle contests today. One you can win a chance to meet the Beatles!!! The Beatles are going to be at Carnegie Hall in Feb & you can win tickets!

*  *  *  *

January 26 1964

Dear Diary,

I met Barry today. You know he’s the one who knows the Beatles. And, to coin a phrase, “Big deal!” He’s not bad looking, 22, working his way through college. But! The only things Maureen & I got out of him (in a subtle manner) I already knew. So we sent Lorraine in to ask him another question. She asked him the wrong question! Then after Maureen left & I started to go home Barry came out of the drug store. He said “Sneaky! You couldn’t ask me yourself!” I said no & ran! Boy, what a dope!

Yours,

Disgusted,

Patty

*  *  *  *

January 26 1964

Dear Diary,

Today marks three achievements in Beatle history. Namely: 1 – I made a Beatle button out of an old button I had with my name on it. 2 – I bought the new addition [sic] of “16 Magazine” and there was a boss picture of the Beatles in it along with 2 neat paragraphs. 3 – Get this! The Beatles are going to be on Ed Sullivan on Feb. 2 (on film) & on Feb. 9, & Feb 16 (live)! Isn’t that great! That means I’ll see them next week! Yippee!

Yours,

Happily

Again,

Patty

*  *  *  *

January 27 1964

Dear Diary

Well Maureen & I had made plans to go to Carnegie Hall [a note reads: tickets - $3.00 - $4.50 - $5.50] tomorrow to get tickets for the Beatles concert. But mom wouldn’t let me. We had a fight, not much of one, and I cried a little. I think that’s what did it because later on when I asked her again she said, “I don’t know.” So I have a pretty good chance of going. So far Maureen & Me can go & Karyl Lee is pretty sure she can come. Ellen Moire & her friend Susan might go. Karyl says her father might be able to take us home. I think I’ll be able to go tomorrow. I’ll tell you about the survey now. The Beatles still have two songs on it but “I Want To Hold Your Hand” went down 1. Oh well we’ll see how it does in WABC real survey tomorrow.

Hopefully,

Patty

[I don’t know, and can’t remember, if Pat did actually see the Beatles at Carnegie Hall (12 February 1964). I know she saw them at Forest Hills Stadium (28 August 1964), and later at Shea (15 August 1965).]

*  *  *  *

February 7

Beatles ARRIVED!!!!!

*  *  *  *

February 8

Dear Diary,

I’m not writing this on Feb 8 but on March 2! The reason I’m writing so late is because I’ve been so busy with the Beatles that I didn’t get over them until a week & ½ after they left.  But even if I don’t put in any other “book entries” I simply must make this one. As you know today was the wedding. But, you didn’t know that the Beatles are staying at the Plaza [where Pat’s family was coincidentally holding a family wedding]. Well we put our wits together and managed to see them!!! It was like this, we asked a waiter when they were coming back & then we went down to the lobby 15 minutes before time. Well, we had waited for a long while & had been talking to some reporter. Well, we were just standing around waiting when Jo saw a reporter start to run. She started to follow him & I turned to follow. Just then she bumped into some man & said “Excuse me —— Hey! He’s one of the . . .” Yep! When Jo looked up she realized that the “man” she had bumped into was George Harrison! She I& the other kids started to chase him but he looked pretty moody so I didn’t. (Later we found out he’d been sick!) Oh, I almost forgot George brushed past and HE TOUCHED ME!!!! Now while we waited for the other 3 we met their driver (& blocker) Malcolm Evans. We (nuts) took a pix with him just then we heard a commotion we all looked around I& sure enough. There they were. THE BEATLES! Jo & me ran up behind Paul & Jo asked for his autograph. But she didn’t have a pen! So guess who gave Paul the pen? John!! Oh it was too much. I think I’m the most envied girl in the world! (Even though we never did see Ringo.) I never thought in a million years I’d ever get that close. I’m so HAPPY I COULD DIE!!!

Yours

& Pauls,

Patty

[As soon as I saw the heading for Kirk’s 29 October message (“Lost and found”), I knew exactly what he'd found!  I couldn't wait to see it and what I read was really fun.  First of all, it's so odd to hear the childhood voice of someone I only knew as an adult (it must have been doubly odd for Kirk that way!), and second, I missed all this because I was still living in Europe when the Beatles first appeared here.  (Our experience was a little different on the Continent—England might have been a bit more like the U.S.) The whole experience surrounding the Ed Sullivan Show and the stadium concert was unknown to me until after I got back to the States for the start of college in 1965!  (I didn't even see TV while I was at school in Geneva.)  I was an immediate fan of the British Invasion (we had radios, of course), but I missed all the hysteria Pat describes (and was caught up in).

[I really love this.  It's sweet and nostalgic—remember, I missed most of this—and so strange to hear Pat discovering the fan facts about the Beatles for the first time.  We think today of everyone’s always having known them from the start.  I'm just sorry I can't tell Pat how much fun she's given me just now.  Rock on, Pat!]

No comments:

Post a Comment