30 July 2020

"Portrait of a Mentor"

by Alan Geller

[Theater is ephemeral, and many theater workers leave little behind, except perhaps in the memories of those who associated with them.  On the web it’s sometimes easier to find information even about obscure figures, but I could find almost nothing about my acting teacher, Elizabeth Dillon, who died a few decades ago.  Then, to my delight, I found the article below, which gives a vivid impression of that quirky teacher who for me was an absolute lifesaver in the area of acting. I have used what I learned practically every day since I had her class, and I will always be grateful to her.  Besides, she was fun. Meet Elizabeth!  Kirk Woodward

[Alan Geller’s profile of esteemed acting teacher Elizabeth Dillon was originally published on 10 February 2016 on LinkedIn, the business and employment-oriented online service.]

You are a character actor trapped in the body of an ingénue. You won’t be ready to work in this business for thirty years.

With those words, my acting teacher, Elizabeth Dillon, whom I adored, dropped the curtain on my dream. It was an ordinary Tuesday night in the windowless basement room that we called rehearsal space in HB Studio on Bank Street in Manhattan’s West Village. It was March 1980, I’d been acting for seven years, and I had just turned twenty-two.

Then she turned to the whole class and said, “If there is anything else in the world that you are interested in, please do it. To be an actor, you must be obsessed. You mustn’t be able to think of anything else. It is too hard to do if you aren’t completely focused. Totally, completely focused.” - Alice Melott, Everything in its own time

This is a portrait of my mentor that I've wanted to write for some time. I only hope that I do the late great Elizabeth Dillon justice in this caricature of an unforgettable teacher and artist.

To get a sense of who Elizabeth Dillon was you'd need to start with someone that was a poster child for the cause of chain-smoking Marlboro cigarettes lit from a cheap plastic Bic lighter. Combine that with a woman that strongly resembled the particular stand-in photo of Annie Lennox wearing sunglasses above. While born in Long Island, New York, Elizabeth spoke with a clipped British accent and carried herself with the regal demeanor of television and film star Diana Rigg in the role of a judge, or hosting an episode of Mystery, a British television show. (See video above). Elizabeth had quite a bit more edge though - she could be extremely formidable at times.

Elizabeth ruled the basement studio (the school's best classroom in my opinion) of New York City's HB Studio's main building in Greenwich Village like royalty. She taught beginner, intermediate and advanced acting scene study and technique classes five times per week and was a contemporary of Herbert Berghof's (The HB of HB Studios). I saw Herbert in a dated play set well over a century ago called Easter, by Augustus Strindberg and it was simply the greatest onstage performance that I'd ever witnessed.

As Elizabeth would say, “When you play a character, it demands no more than what's required in real life - but no less either.” Herbert brought such a remarkable, full, physical and psychological life (including a scene-stealing cough that his character, a landlord had that you'd swear was real) onstage that he made the other actors that he shared the stage with look like stiff, wooden marionettes that could talk. It was like watching a creature from another, more intellectually advanced planet communicating with a lower level of humanity. 

Inspired, I made a decision on the spot to become a professional actor and to study acting at HB Studio.

Elizabeth came recommended by my friend and a former student of hers because unlike Berghof and his wife Uta Hagen who taught working actors and accepted students through a grueling audition process, she accepted beginners like me and taught “the craft” of acting. 

The students, some of whom looked like severe outcasts from music videos, others who were full-time students at the school and others that were corporate types that wanted to try their hand at acting sat in the back “audience section” of the cool, dark basement studio facing a curtain three quarters of the way across the room that had numerous pieces of furniture and props behind it that were used for our scene work. 

Elizabeth sat in the middle of the studio off to the far right behind a wooden teacher's desk that allowed her to address the seated students as well as the scene work up front from an equal vantage point. Prior to her arrival, the desk was “arranged” by an assistant like a Broadway stage set with a cheap gold ashtray, a pack of Marlboro cigarettes, a back-up book of matches in case her Bic lighter didn't work, a yellow legal pad and an ice-cold can of Coca-Cola. When Elizabeth arrived, she'd typically place some books and plays on the desk that she'd refer to intently while smoking. 

As you can already tell, Elizabeth wasn't everyone's cup of tea. Most acting teachers at HB Studios asked you to pair up with another student and they'd have you go off during the week and rehearse an acting scene that you'd agree on (sometimes without the teacher's involvement) and expect you to come in, perform in front of the class and patiently wait for the teacher's comments and criticism.  

Not so with Elizabeth. She provided her students with her home phone number and when you needed a scene assignment, you were expected to call her Sunday evenings between 6 PM and 8 PM for both scene and scene partner assignments (unless you were doing a monologue). During those calls she'd call you ”Dahling,” talk up your partner: ”Oh, she's wonderful, Dahling,” and give you some tidbits about the play, the specific scene and the characters that you were assigned.  

Here's how things worked in the class: Once Elizabeth arrived and settled in, she'd announce the names of the students that she wanted to perform in front of the class along with the name of the play that they were doing a scene from. The chosen students got up and set the stage area and while doing so Elizabeth would light a cigarette with her cheap Bic lighter, open up her copy of the scene that was about to be presented and we'd sit in silence as she intently studied the scene (as if in a trance) while puffing away, scribbling notes onto the legal pad and nodding her head as if to silently say: “Got it. Um Hmm. Yes; or shaking it from side to side to say No.” After about five minutes of this she'd straighten up, look directly at the class and go into an intro monologue that very much resembled what you see in the Diana Rigg Mystery video above. Then she'd say: “Alan and Susan; take all the time you need. . .  And whenever YOU'RE ready.”

If there was one quote that I'd attribute to Elizabeth Dillon, that was it:

“Take All The Time You Need. . .  And Whenever YOU’RE Ready.”

As the actors performed their scenes there'd be more furious head nodding and shaking while Elizabeth appeared to internalize the action while furiously scribbling down notes on her yellow legal pad. To see this was to observe active listening at its finest.

After you completed your scene you could either stand in the stage area in the middle of your set and converse with her or sit down in one of the two chairs set up across her desk and face her interrogation head on. All of this was done right in front of the entire class which could see and hear everything. 

If a particular scene were poor Elizabeth would ask: “Did you rehearse Dahlings?” If the actors said yes, she'd ask “How often?” “Once,” was the typical reply. “It shows babies. It shows.”

“Conflict fuels the scene,” she'd say. “It's your friend.”

She'd tell us to break each scene down to “beats” or bite-sized chunks based on a character's motivation. 

I learned more about discipline from this particular acting teacher than from practically anyone else that I had come across up until that time. Much of what I learned from Elizabeth about focus, taking pride in one's work, gaining a rock solid understanding of your subject matter, cutting through B.S. has carried over into my current profession of the recruitment and placement of corporate professionals.

 I spent years studying on and off with Elizabeth, slowly progressing to her intermediate and eventually advanced “Invitation Only” Friday evening class designed for working actors. One year my classmates put on an Academy Awards type show for the students and I won a “Dilly Award” named in Elizabeth's honor for a realistic monologue that I did. Another year she selected me to be her assistant in exchange for a free class and it became my job to neatly arrange her desk with the Marlboro cigarettes, gold ashtray and Coca-Cola which were constants in her life.   

Eventually I had observed Elizabeth's entire catalog of scenes and knew what she was going to say before she said it.

I recall one day when she arrived late, when I took her seat behind her desk and did an Elizabeth Dillon impression for the class that had everyone in stitches. She stepped in while I was in the middle of my impersonation and laughed along with everyone else. Around that time I knew that I needed to move on both to doing professional work as well as to another teacher (which is a story for another post).

Years later my university's speech and debate club invited me to represent them as a judge at a High School debate competition for non-debate categories such as poetry reading and “Oral Interpretation of Drama and Prose.” In the final round I was one of three university-age judges in the room (think of Simon Cowell's role on X Factor) and I decided to channel Elizabeth. How? I looked at the contestants before they started and told them to:

“Take all the time you need. . .  And whenever YOU'RE ready.”

[Geller is a sales and leasing consultant at Princeton Audi Volkswagen,  His LinkedIn profile of his acting teacher was followed by a slew of comments from other former students of Elizabeth Dillon.  I’ve cherry-picked some of the responses to post as an afterword to Geller’s memoir. 

[Before I post them, however, let me pass on Kirk’s final remark about having been an Elizabeth Dillon student:

I always wanted to take Elizabeth’s class again, to see if I’d gotten any better at acting, but I never did.  I wrote her a few times, though, and always got a letter back.  Her last one to me was signed, “Elizabeth the Mad.”  She knew I’d understand.

[And now, those other comments.  ~Rick

Neal King, LCSW, CHT
Strength-Based Motivational Psychotherapist; Developer of Thought Management Programs; Clinical Hypnotherapist; Author

I also recall Elizabeth Dillon in the early 90’s. I was in that basement class. I even got to be one of her pet note-takers on the first day of class as well as drive her home many nights after class. As she had me write the student names down and she chatted with each for a few minutes she would whisper several descriptive words that I would jot next to their names.  This was her way to recall a bit about each person and assign scenes.  Some of the whispers included, “bovine”, “tall”, etc.  We loved her.  A classmate and I formed a theater group with other classmates and Elizabeth came to all our shows.  If anyone remembers me in their class - please say hello!

Joseph Dobrian        
Owner, Dobrian, Frances, Bowie, & Long

I also studied with her in the early 90s. She was drinking regular Sprite then. She was very good with beginners, in that she would train out of you the mistakes that all baby actors make (“indicating,” for example). What I didn’t like about her was, first, she insisted that there was only one way to play any scene: her way. If you played it just the way she would have played it, fine; if you tried it any other way, woe betide you. This was especially a problem because in a few cases, she would fail to grasp what was really going on in a scene, and would instruct you to play it wrong -- which you had to do, even though you knew better. Second, she had her favorites. She would deify some students and ignore others; if you weren’t one of her favorites, you would maybe perform at the end of the session, but more usually not at all -- even if you had put an X on your card to show that you hadn’t been called on the week before. “If you have the X on your card, you get to go next week -- guaranteed.” I once got fed up with her and told her, “OK, now we all know what your damn guarantees are worth,” and she didn’t mess with me after that. But in 1993, I produced and starred in my own play, Off-Broadway. A good play, if I say so myself, and it did OK for a first play by an unknown. But when I told Elizabeth about the upcoming show, all she said was, “Oh, nobody’ll come to it.” When I heard she was dead, I remembered that it wan’t nice to say anything bad about the dead, so I just said good.

Celia Bressack
Dues Mgr at NYCity Bar

“It wasn’t a gift...it was a loan!!!” Yes, she was an original...and had moved on to Diet Sprite by the time I studied with her in the early 90s - wed, and then the friday class. It was my class that discovered her passing, when she...who NEVER MISSED A CLASS - NO MATTER THE WEATHER...did not turn up for class. She was found by a cop and a former key student/friend, surrounded in her bed by well worn editions of the plays we were doing scenes from for class Friday night. I have many ladies rooms memories of her right before class. She’d be there, reapplying her lipstick and powdering her face. Always lips and powder! I believe she found her calling as a teacher because she may have suffered from stage fright - but class was definitely her “show” and time to shine! Thank you for remembering her so beautifully - weren’t we lucky!

Dupé Adeoye
Change Management & Performance Improvement Leader: Culture; Diversity, Leadership, Entrepreneurship Skills Development

How many times did I peruse this? “Once?”....... “Take all the time you need... And whenever YOU’RE ready.” “I learned from Elizabeth about focus, taking pride in one’s work, gaining a rock solid understanding of your subject matter, cutting through B.S. has carried over into my current profession of the recruitment and placement of corporate professionals.” “... An Elizabeth Dillon impression for the class that had everyone in stitches. She stepped in while I was in the middle of my impersonation and laughed along with everyone else.” ... It takes a special kind of person with self belief to laugh along! .. A glimpse into the past ...lessons for the future too, with admiration and respect. “When they made her (Elizabeth Dillon), they broke the mold.”....The principles that she instilled lives on.... Thank you for sharing. I will add a quote that you’ll recognise too “.... This isn’t a race. This IS about quality.” All the time needed.... a soul searching timeout too. Alan, Thank you. You’ve taken me full circle. ... Time for the next steps.

[As readers can readily see, I didn’t edit or “correct” any of the comments above (other than selecting them for posting on ROT).  I pretty much took any remarks from former students of Elizabeth that added something to Geller’s recollections; others were mostly congratulatory or appreciative expressions.]

No comments:

Post a Comment